latest Updates

07.24.2015

After loosing the Raid array (secondary drive had all data but would not boot, primary d.o.a.) I decided to upgrade to Debian Jessie 8.

01.20.2015

Students using NASM and the Intel Galileo board for class. Working on new Journal for board.

07.19.2013

Forced to redo Automation Direct project after Wheezy 64bit install.

07.19.2013

Updated server hardware, upgraded to Debian Wheezy and added software Raid.

06.27.2012

Updated server to Debian Squeeze 6

02.06.2010

Added info on controlling Tivo via Telnet.

01.01.2009

Added info on 68HC11/12 to page.

12.20.2008

Moved server to a Dell Precision Workstation 650 I got on eBay. Also upgraded to Debian Linux 4.0.

03.01.2008

Found my notes on Embedded TCP Programming and posted them.

03.15.2008

Wrote a new program for the Magnetic Strip Card readers that displays the actual card number and place it online.

Journals

Galileo Board

In an effort to modernize my uProc and uProc Interfacing classes, in spring 2015 I decided to try using the Intel Galileo board instead of the 68HC11 boards I usually use for the class. I created my own linux image which included NASM, ADL (a simple debugger...similar to MS Debug) and nano (since I hate VI). The journal page can be found HERE



Linux

Here is my Linux Journal of things I learned while creating my first Linux server (RH 7.2).

Since then I have also installed R.H. 9 (notes), Debian Linux 3.1, 4, 5, 6 and I currently run Debian Linux 7.

I also have used Slackware on 486 and Pentium 1 systems for various personal projects.

Realized I really did not fully document the last few installs, so I kept more detailed notes while installing Debian Wheezy. It is also the first time I did a software raid for my server.

Updated to Debian Jessie in July 2015, added notes to notes above covering install (including notes of going to Apache 2.4).



Dos Networking

While earning my MS degree, I did experimentation on DOS Networking for embedded systems. Here is the FAQ I created.



Embedded System Programming for TCP/IP

I also experimented with TCP/IP Programming for DOS using WATTCP and eRTOS via BORLAND C. Here are my NOTES.



68HC11/12

I work with a lot of 68HC1x microcontrollers but have problems finding all the stuff I want on one page. Here is my reference page for the 68HC11 and the 68HC12.



OWI-007 Robot Arm / Parallel Port Interfacing

FAQ on how to create your own programs for the OWI-007 Robot Arm (with the optional Parallel Port Interface).



Magnetic Strip Card Reader

Learn how to create your own programs for the SR&D MCR-175-1R Magnetic Strip Card (Credit Card) Reader by clicking here.



Tivo

I have a Tivo Series 2 and a Series 3 DVR connected to my network. I also run Galleon from my linux server to add additional features.

Found out that you can control a Tivo Servies 3 via a RAW Telnet Session. First, on the Tivo, gointo SETTINGS | REMOTE AND DEVICES | NETWORK REMOTE CONTROL and ENABLE it. Then open a session using a Telnet Program (like PuTTY using port 31339. Type IRCODE in caps followed by any of the following: UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, SELECT, TIVO, LIVETV, THUMBSUP, THUMBSDOWN, CHANNELUP, CHANNELDOWN, RECORD, DISPLAY, DIRECTV, NUM0, NUM1, NUM2, NUM3, NUM4, NUM5, NUM6, NUM7, NUM8, NUM9, ENTER, CLEAR, PLAY, PAUSE, SLOW, FORWARD, REVERSE, STANDBY, NOWSHOWING, REPLAY, ADVANCE, DELIMITER, GUIDE. More info can be found in Tivo UI Control Via Telnet thread in the Tivo Community Forum. One of the last entries links to DDDANMAR.NET and tells how to set up a Website (HTML / Python script) that will send commands to the Tivo via a webpage.

I solved a problem with my Tivo that would not allow TivoCasts to download. I kept getting the message "This program was not download onto this DVR because it was not found" for every TivoCast Download attempt. I checked all the blogs and Tivo Help Forums I could find with no results. I even called Tivo Customer Service and they told me to read READ THIS and open the ports on my firewall...NO GO. I finally tried to download a TivoCast on my second Tivo, and that worked ok (definitely rulling out a firewall issue). I checked the differences in the network settings and found the one that worked pointed to my router as its DNS Server, but the one that did not had the address of my cable modem. I changed the DNS address to my router (in my case 192.168.0.1) and it worked. Also, before this change, the TivoCast Setup page on the Tivo in question came up VERY VERY SLOWLY (ie push the down button and wait minutes for the menu to update). This went away with the new settings.